Literature and Lingerie | Oscar Wilde

It's no secret that I adore lingerie, but a lesser know fact about myself is that I'm also a literature geek. The first 'proper' novel I read as a child was Jane Eyre, aged 10 I didn't quite understand it but I loved it all the same and since then my love of literature has blossomed into quite an extensive collection. The inhabitants of my book shelf range from the Bronte sisters to Bram Stoker and then the more darker, intense works of Marquis de Sade and Oscar Wilde. On observation I've realised that these works reflect heavily on my lingerie collection.


So I thought why not combine the two, share the lingerie sets that remind me of my favourite books or characters and maybe expand both collections further whilst doing so. In the name of my blog, I bring you the first installment of literature and lingerie, decadent lingerie sets that remind me of the love of my life, Oscar Wilde.

"Don’t squander the gold of your days, listening to the tedious, trying to improve the hopeless failure, or giving away your life to the ignorant, the common, and the vulgar."
Oscar Wilde


The Picture of Dorian Gray: oh you glorious, astounding and utterly captivating piece of work. This book left me in a daze for a week, quite literally changed my life and the way I thought of things and has been re-read about 8 times in the three years since I discovered it. No surprise that my most expensive and coveted lingerie set in my collection conjures up pictures the hedonistic, pleasure seeking and corrupt nobility of the past. The Buttress and Snatch Montmartre Set:




The Importance of Being Earnest: This play is hilarious. I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a story before I read The Importance of Being Earnest. It's a bit silly and at times quite boisterous whilst still showcasing Wilde's literary genius. These Silk Ruffled Knickers by Angela Friedman take centre stage, a bit cheeky while still being elegant and made up of the most gorgeous materials.


“'How you can sit there calmly eating muffins when we are in this horrible trouble, I can't make out. You seem to me to be perfectly heartless.'
‘Well, I can’t eat muffins in an agitated manner. The butter would probably get on my cuffs.’”  
Oscar Wilde 

0 comments:

Post a Comment